News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

external application support

Started by engineerairborne, January 29, 2016, 01:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineerairborne

I have some comic books (cbr/cbz) files that I have added to eLibrary Manager. However I can not open them. I followed the instructions for the mimetype and created the mimetype.txt file and placed it at /Android/data/kpw.ebook/files/mimetype/  however I still get the error message unable to find external reader application for this book. The entries I made are cbr=/application/x-cbr  and cbz=/application/x-cbz  however I still get the error. I have a default comic book reader that I am able to open the files direct from my nook HD +. So not sure what else I would need to do.

kweckwor

In order to launch an external application, that application needs to respond to Android Intents to open resources for which it's declared a corresponding IntentFilter. It might be the case that the default Nook comic reader doesn't respond to these. Is the reader an application that you installed from an app store or did it come bundled with your Nook? If I can install the same app (I don't have a Nook), I can see if I can get it to work.

kweckwor

One more thing you should try, I've just realized. In your mimetype.txt file, you should remove the leading slash from the mimetype values. So use

• cbr=application/x-cbr
  • cbz=application/x-cbz
rather than

• cbr=/application/x-cbr
  • cbz=/application/x-cbz
That might work.

kweckwor

I haven't heard anything back from the original poster on this, but I will report on what my investigation has uncovered:

• With mimetypes cbr=application/x-cbr and cbz=application/x-cbz, I've been able to launch a variety of comic readers that I randomly downloaded and tried.
  • It may still be the case that the default Nook comic reader (or any individual specific comic reader) does not respond to external requests to launch through intents. If that is the case then this app cannot integrate with those readers.
  • I am adding the above mimetypes for comics into the default configuration, so it won't be necessary once that is released to define your own. That will be included int the next update.
Karl