Author Topic: eLibrary Manager v3.1.4 - A couple of points to highlight for Android 7.0 +  (Read 5406 times)

kweckwor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I will be releasing version 3.1.4 of eLibrary Manager within the next couple of days. If you use the software on Android 7.x, you should be aware of the following:

Performance on Android 7.0+
Current performance on Android 7.0+ is less than optimal, especially if book files are large (e.g. graphic novels, for example). As of eLibrary Manager v3.0, the application is using the Android Storage Access Framework (SAF) for file access. Using this framework, accessing book files is slower, most noticeable for large files (the larger the file, the slower the performance). To address this, I need to add the requirement for WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permissions back (I had removed that with the move to SAF) in order to efficiently access book file. So on updating to 3.1.4, you will be prompted to give the app those permissions on first launch. Hopefully the Android platform will improve over time to fill in the functional gaps with SAF - then I will remove the permission requirement. With version 3.1.4, performance on Android 7.0+ is much better.

Launching External Apps
Since Android 7.0 (and SDK level 24), Android no longer allows file URIs (e.g. file:///folder/book.epub) to be used when invoking external applications. With version 3.1.4 I am targeting the latest SDK level (currently 25). That means the app now launches external apps (e.g. readers, image viewers) differently. Most likely your favourite reader and image apps have already been updated to handle this change in the Android platform and you won't notice any change in behaviour.

However, if you discover that those apps are no longer being launched, that probably means that they still expect file URIs to identify book files. In that case, download and install the new eLibrary File URI Launcher add-on app. Installing that app will allow eLibrary Manager to behave as before. See http://kpwsite.com/home/content/eLibrary/guide_launch_external.html for more information and for download links.

Karl
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:19:04 am by kweckwor »

Truss

Hi Karl, you say performance should be much better but mine tanked. I've been recently experiencing stuttering and even freezing of the screen. What might be the issue?

Truss

Hi Karl, you say performance should be much better but mine tanked. I've been recently experiencing stuttering and even freezing of the screen. What might be the issue?

kweckwor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Truss,

What kind of activity are you finding the stuttering/freezing occurring with? Is that when using the reader or when using the library manager? Maybe you can describe what you are doing and how things are behaving. If you can also let me know some more environment details like Android version and version of the app, that might help as well. Is this something that's degraded recently, or have you been having these issues from the start?

Hopefully we can figure something out.

Karl