Author Topic: Letters in night mode are dark  (Read 3568 times)

Peregrina

• View Profile
Letters in night mode are dark
« on: December 25, 2018, 05:47:14 am »
I generally prefer using night mode to read, at least in other apps.  So far in using the ePub Reader, no matter how light a color I try to make the Foreground/letters, they are always so dark that they are unreadable if I successfully make the Background dark (and making the background dark has not been a problem).  So far I have only been reading one book, and I was wondering if there was a problem with that file, but it goes into night mode just fine when reading it in my iBooks program on my Mac, so I don't think it is a problem with the file.  I recently got a new Fire tablet and am looking for a good program for reading books in the epub format. So far the ePub Reader has the best overall features, except that night mode does not work right.  The best I seem to be able to do is leave the foreground/letters black and make the Background a dark yellow. I would much rather read in a true night mode, with the Background black and the letters offwhite.  If anyone can help me to make that happen I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

kweckwor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Letters in night mode are dark
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:59:37 pm »
Hi Peregrina,

I suspect the book file is explicitly setting the text colour, so you may not find the same issue with other books.

In general, I've taken the approach to apply styles only when those styles are not explicilty set in a book file. My rationale has been that, if a book author/provider is going out of his/her way to set styles explicilty, then I assume there is an esthetic reason for doing that and I don't try to override it. But as I find cases where the general rule may not work out for the best, I'm willing to see what I can do to force a specific style to override what is coded in the book. I'll see what I can do for this scenario.

You should know though that even if I can make this change (I'm assuming I should be able to - but I'll need to figure it out to be sure), there may always be cases where styles are applied at some level of nesting in the parent hierarchy for book content that can clash with whatever styles I apply. So it may not be foolproof. ePub book content is just HTML, so styling possibilities are almost endless, so without stripping all original styles and only applying my own, it can be tricky to ensure that any general book format works well with overrides that I apply.

As I mentioned above, my strategy has been to try and be as faithful to the original book format and styling as I can, so that books are rendered as intended by the author. I still want to keep to that philosophy as much as I can. But this sounds like a reasonable exception to the general rule.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll let you know if I can make this happen in a way that I'm happy with.

Karl Weckworth

kweckwor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Letters in night mode are dark
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 03:31:46 pm »
Hi Peregrina and anyone else who might be interested in this topic,

Just a quick update. I've got a fix that I'm happy with and I'll be releasing it soon (version 4.1.1). I just need to test things out a little more thoroughly, and if that goes well, then I should be able to release within a week or so.

Karl